Use the following as inspiration for your questions. The exact wording will depend on your circumstances and who your customer is. And don't forget... you can also ask for a debrief for a proposal that you won!
- Who won?
- How many bids were received?
- What was your overall score?
- Was your score close to the top or close to the bottom?
- What was the winner’s score?
- Did the winner have the lowest price?
- Did the winner have the highest score on the technical evaluation factors?
If price was a major factor and you lost:
- Was the winning price higher or lower than yours?
- What was the price difference between your bid and the winning bid?
- Did you scope the level of effort (number of people/hours) appropriately?
- Was the skill level of your proposed staffing too high?
- Did the winner propose more or less staff/hours? By how much?
- What drove the customer's perception of value?
- How did they calculate the difference in value?
- How did they consider price realism/reasonableness?
If you scored higher on technical factors but lost:
- Did you lose because achieving a higher score on technical factors drove up the cost?
- If your price had been the same as the winner, would your proposal have represented the best value?
If you scored lower on technical factors:
- How did your staffing score?
- How did your technical understanding and approach score?
- How did your management approach score?
- How did your past performance score?
- Did you have any compliance issues?
If the incumbent won:
- Did the incumbent score higher on the technical evaluation factors?
- Did the incumbent score higher on experience?
- Would more details about how you would retain the incumbent staffing have improved your score?
- What kind of impact did your bid strategies have?
- What were your strengths?
- What were your weaknesses?
- Were you non-compliant with the RFP in any way?
- Did you understand the customer?
- Did you make the right decisions?
- How did the presentation and appearance of your proposal stack up against the competition?
- What differentiated you from the other bids?
- Was your proposal easy to navigate and score?
- Did your proposal contain any fluff or content that should have been substantiated better?
- What in your proposal made their eyes roll?
- What in your proposal got their attention?
- Is there anything the customer would recommend for you to improve?